Office of Estate & Gift Planning
Not everyone wants to commit to making a gift in their wills or estates. Some prefer the increased flexibility that a beneficiary designation provides by using:
- IRAs and retirement plans
- Life insurance policies
- Commercial annuities
It only takes three simple steps to make this type of gift. Here's how to name the University of Florida as a beneficiary:
- Contact your retirement plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution for a change-of-beneficiary form.
- Decide what percentage (1 to 100) you would like us to receive and name us, along with the percentage you chose, on the beneficiary form.
- Return the completed form to your plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution.
See How It Works
An Example of How It Works
Robert and Carol treasure the financial help they've been able to give their children and UF over the years. The couple recently updated their will to leave stocks and real estate to their kids. They left UF a $75,000 IRA to be transferred following their lifetime. Because UF is tax-exempt, all $75,000 will help support our mission.
If Robert and Carol had left the IRA to their children, approximately $18,000* would have gone to pay federal income taxes—leaving only $57,000 for their family's use. Robert and Carol are happy knowing they are making the most of their hard-earned money thanks to their updated estate plan.
*Based on an assumption of a 24 percent marginal income tax bracket.
Not Sure How to Begin Planning?Download My FREE Personal Estate Planning Kit
- Contact UF's Office of Estate & Gift Planning at 352-392-5512, toll free at 866-317-4143 or email@example.com for additional information on beneficiary designations and how they can help support UF with our mission.
- Talk to your financial or legal advisor to learn which assets will or will not trigger taxable income when paid to a beneficiary.
- If you name UF in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: The University of Florida Foundation, Inc.
Address: 1938 West University Avenue, Gainesville, FL 32603
Federal Tax ID Number: 59-0974739
The University of Florida Foundation is not affiliated with, and does not provide, endorsements for professional advisors. Information contained herein was accurate at the time of posting. The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. Figures cited in any examples are for illustrative purposes only. References to tax rates include federal taxes only and are subject to change. State law may further impact your individual results. Charitable Gift Annuities may not be available in all states.