Office of Estate & Gift Planning
Donor Advised Fund
A donor advised fund, which is like a charitable savings account, gives you the flexibility to recommend how much and how often money is granted to the University of Florida and other charities.
You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You can then recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted. In addition, you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
In return, you qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This also allows for a centralized giving and record-keeping system in one location.
An Example of How It Works
Joe and Laura want to give back to their hometown by putting their money where it will do the most good. They establish a $25,000 donor advised fund with a community foundation.
The couple receives a federal income tax charitable deduction for the amount of the gift. They also get all the time they need to decide which charities to support.
After researching community needs with the foundation’s staff, Joe and Laura recommend grants for UF (which they’ve supported for years) and the Animal Rescue League. The foundation presents the charities with checks from the Megan Fund, which Joe and Laura named in honor of their daughter. Joe and Laura are delighted to start this personal legacy of giving.
Not Sure How to Begin Planning?Download My FREE Personal Estate Planning Kit
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the organization's policies and procedures-from minimum contributions to administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- Contact the Office of Estate & Gift Planning at 352-392-5512, toll free 866-317-4143 or email@example.com to discuss using donor advised funds to support UF and our mission.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include UF in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: The University of Florida Foundation, Inc.
Address: 1938 West University Avenue, Gainesville, FL 32603
Federal Tax ID Number: 59-0974739
The University of Florida Foundation is not affiliated with, and does not provide, endorsements for professional advisors. The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. Figures cited in examples are for illustrative purposes only. References to tax rates include federal taxes only and are subject to change. State law may further impact your individual results. Charitable Gift Annuities may not be available in all states.